Saturday, May 12, 2007

Business Stuff

So, I've decided that the best way to avoid having to go back to work after the baby is born is to improve my craft business to bring in supplemental income. So, I've been starting to read and do research on the business side of things, and boy, is it complicated. I've been looking at information on writing a business plan, marketing, sales venues, etc. I drew up some basic logs for a by-hand bookkeeping system, and found a good template for writing a business plan that will, hopefully, help me to outline everything I need to know and do to make my venture a success.

For someone like me though, this is all very scary. I am so afraid of failure, I often won't even try things because I might not get it the first time. So looking at all the stuff I have to do to make this work is very daunting. Especially when I consider trying to balance home and work, and personal crafting with business crafting. I'm definitely glad I have some time before I leave my job to begin to find the balance I need to keep from going nuts. I think the worst aspect of it all is that properly running a craft business means I absolutely must get my space organized and get rid of all the excess stuff I have, to make room for inventory and materials. Being a total pack rat and having no discernible organizational skill, this will likely be the most difficult thing I have to do in getting things off the ground.

1 comment:

Zu said...

Good luck with your business venture! I hope all goes well for you. :-) I'm drawing up plans for my own as well and it's not a picnic! :-)

(http://www.hobbyzu.com)